Grassroots Soccer
Grassroots Soccer is a program that raises awareness of HIV/AIDS with youths through playing games and soccer. The games were originally designed for 5th graders, so they were pretty goofy and involved a young mindset. Regardless, everybody seemed to enjoy themselves, including me. The instructors were pretty cool, and all of the other kids were very nice.

We started with introductions involving everybody getting in a circle. We moved around in a circle, and everybody announced their name and either what they were good at or what they learned quickly. Along with that we gave visuals. For example I said I was good at basketball and acted out a fade-a-way shot.

We did a number of different hand shakes to meet everybody and played several games. The games all had morals which tied in with HIV/AIDS and every once in a while the instructors would throw in some facts. I had fun and I think I speak for everybody in the group in saying that.

After the games, Grassroots Soccer set us up to play in an 11-on-11 soccer game with a team from the area. It was the varsity soccer team, so all the kids were our age, but way better at soccer. Luckily we were all split up evenly so the teams were pretty even. It was fun being on the field again just like my elementary days.
Regardless of their extreme advantage in talent, the Africans made sure to keep everybody involved. They played the game because it is fun, not necessarily to win. They didn't play easy on us, but they were lenient on those that couldn't really handle the pressure. We all exchanged handshakes and names so it was a fun, friendly match. My team won, of course. Ha, just kidding...but we did win haha.

In the U.S. kids would not have been down to play on a dirt field with sharp rocks spread about and no nets in the goals. These kids were more than happy to. We were too, I guess their enjoyment for the game rubbed off on us. I'll always appreciate the sports facilities I play in more now. I'm glad I had the experience. It was an experience that all athletes should experience at some point in life.

Grayson
blog comments powered by Disqus